Monday, March 16, 2009

Honoring Merle Haggard



Jack Ingram, Merle Haggard and Emmylou Harris

Merle Haggard received the prestigious Career Achievement Award from the Country Radio Broadcasters March 3rd, honoring his long and epic career. I was lucky enough to be able to attend... the room was full of talent, legends and pure country....

Craig Morgan, Sonja and John Rich

Recovering from a bout with lung cancer, Haggard was happy to be able to attend. After conveying his appreciation, Haggard also admitted he still harbored some resentment against his former label, Epic Records. Following a performance of his hit, 'Kern River' by Emmylou Harris who recalled that the first time she heard the song she "almost drove off the road because it's just so good," Haggard reminded the audience of how that song almost missed the light of day.

Emmylou Harris

"I want to say that there was this other guy -- I can't remember his name -- he was head of CBS, and he made fun of my song. He said, 'Who in the hell knows where Kern River is at?'" Reminded by someone in the audience that it was former president of CBS Records, Rick Blackburn, Haggard recalled the exchange of words the two had more than 20 years ago."I'd like to tell you one more time. I don't like 'Kern River.'

Merle Haggard
Haggard continued, "And I said, 'That's about the third time you've told me that.' He said, 'It's more like five times.' And I said, 'Well, I'm about five times short of telling you to go to hell.".......Merle had the entire room in laughter. I don't think anyone was surprised at his, cut-through-the-bull candor! After all, he is Merle Haggard. He shared some other 'thoughts' that I won't repeat here, but let me tell you it was all in 'Merle' style.


Above: Jack Ingram performs .........Below:Jack Ingram and Sonja

Also on hand to congratulate Haggard was Jack Ingram, who covered Haggard's tune, 'Are the Good Times Really Over (I Wish a Buck Was Still Silver). An honor for Jack that he descibed as an honor he will 'never forget.'

Sarah Buxton and Sonja

No comments: